Monday, August 5, 2019

CTry Middle Leaders Collaboration


In my role as a middle leader, I find it very helpful to learn from other colleagues and be part of a school professional development for middle leaders. We were asked to express how we can lead to make a difference in the achievements of our target students in NCEA levels. Target students here are defined as those who are not achieving credits as expected in NCEA. These reflections are also relevant to my inquiry. 

The slides below have some of my reflections on what I need to do to make shifts in the lives of those target students. Target students here are defined as who are underachievers. These reflections are also relevant to my inquiry.

In this link are valuable guide from two officers from the Ministry of Education who run this professional development for our middle leaders at the college. Without a doubt, they also help me as a teacher in my inquiry. 

But I was further empowered with some of these ideas about accelerating our learners: 

  • Sharing successes - leveraging what’s working
  • Designing new solutions together
  • Tailoring teaching and assessments for individuals and groups
Collaborating with students by being explicit, learning together with students, and empowering students to take the lead in learning 

The leadership and teacher that stick change (Fullan) involves:

  • Use the group to change the group
  • Precision over prescription
  • Feedback candour and autonomy
  • See the forest and the trees
  • Accountability as culture 

“People don’t resist change. They resist being changed.” But I need to ask what do I need to change in my teaching practice in order to stick changes in the achievement and success of my students. 

No comments:

Post a Comment